South Korean police said on Sunday they had arrested a defector who tried to return to North Korea after a similar, successful crossing in July escalated tensions on the peninsula.
The defector, who had fled to South Korea in 2018, was suspected of breaking into a military training site in South Korea’s border town of Cheorwon on Thursday to head back to North Korea.
“The man is under police investigation. We are looking into details such as why he tried to cross the border,” a policewomen said by telephone. She said she could not confirm the date of the arrest.
In July, a 24-year-old defector returned to North Korea the way he left in 2017, going through a drainage ditch and swimming across the Han River to the North.
When the 24-year-old defector illegally returned to North Korea in July, the “runaway” prompted the government to launch an investigation into the military unit responsible for the crossing.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.
- چگونه شرق آفریقا است که مبارزه با ملخ در میان coronavirus
- Philadelphia Eagles' دالاس Goedert در داکوتای جنوبی نوار نزاع و جدال
- پورت ها: NDGOP نباید تایید سرپرست مسابقه
- نحوه انتخاب بهترین تهویه مطبوع برای خانه: مقایسه سیستم های HVAC
- COVID-19: آیا تکنولوژی میتواند تبدیل به یک ابزار ظلم و ستم و نظارت?
- نپال حزب حاکم رهبران تقاضا PM Oli استعفای
- ارتش آزادیبخش ملی کلمبیا با شورشیان گروه منتشر گروگان
- Brazil judge fines Facebook for not blocking Bolsonaro supporters
- تو، من و اسباب بازی: حقیقت
- How Ginsburg’s death could reshape the presidential campaign