President Donald Trump on Wednesday wouldn’t commit to a peaceful transfer of power if a tally of ballots shows Democrat Joe Biden wins the November election.
“We’re going to have to see what happens,” Trump said in response to a reporter’s question at a White House news conference on Wednesday evening. “You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster.”
Trump has been criticizing the legitimacy of mail-in voting, which is being offered in a number of states as officials seek to limit the spread of the coronavirus at packed polling places.
The president has repeatedly claimed without evidence that mail-in voting is more susceptible to fraud than in-person voting on Election Day. Lawyers representing Trump’s campaign are challenging mail-in voting rules in several states.
“Get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a transfer — a very peaceful, there won’t be a transfer, frankly,” Trump said on Wednesday. “There’ll be a continuation. The ballots are out of control, you know it. You know who knows that better than anybody else? The Democrats know that better than anybody else.”
Trump is trailing Biden in national polls and in key states.
“What country are we in?” Biden said when asked about Trump’s remarks as he returned to Delaware from campaigning in Charlotte, North Carolina. “I’m being facetious. What country are we in? Look, he says the most irrational things. I don’t know what to say about that.”
Senator Mitt Romney of Utah reacted to the president’s remarks on Twitter: “Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus. Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable.”
On Tuesday, Romney, who has often been critical of Trump and was the lone Republican to vote to convict him in this year’s Senate impeachment trial, said he supported proceeding with the president’s plan to quickly replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the U.S. Supreme Court
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App.
- وجه بیش از حد اسباب بازی به ندرت دیده می شود، اما این است چرا این خواسته است
- ایران با تشکر. Hagedorn حملات Black Lives Matter
- نحوه استفاده ویسکومتر آزمایشگاهی
- روسیه موارد افزایش; سوم بالاترین در جهان
- Coronavirus جهانی, به روز رسانی, 01 جولای: ما پرونده بزرگترین واحد بعد سنبله; استرالیا به مستند 3 لاخ مردم در ملبورن
- سازمان ملل متحد می گوید: 3 حافظ صلح کشته و 4 زخمی در مالی حملات
- صحبت کردن با کودکان در مورد نژاد پرستی برگ برخی از والدین زبان بسته
- ثبت شرکت مواد شیمیایی
- NHL و nhl on nbc رای به قبول CBA و بازگشت به بازی پروتکل
- بریتانیا 'پرش سیک' اهدا شد برای جمع آوری کمک های مردمی تلاش